4 content marketing posts to read today
It is that time of the week where I collect interesting pieces of writing that have accumulated in my to blog about-list. This time I am going to concentrate on content marketing related articles.
Let’s start with a post that includes a good definition for content marketing.
Content Marketing is about creating compelling, contagious content and sharing it freely on social networks and blogs.
The definition is from Jeff Bullas’ article from 2012(!). It is interesting to see how especially the first and fourth point he mentions are practically de facto standards in content marketing today.
- Idea 1: Include Images and Photos
- Idea 2: Create a Contagious Online Video
- Idea 3: Design a “Shareable” Video Graphic
- Idea 4: Use the Hottest Trend in Content – Infographics!
- Idea 5: Create a Well Structured Blog Post or eBook
Neil Patel does some myth busting regarding relationship between SEO and content marketing
SEO and content marketing are the same.
That, essentially, you can use both the terms interchangeably.
That if you do one, then you don’t need the other.
Above quote is from his 4-point SEO checklist for content marketing. There is quite a lot of good content in his article so you ought to go and read it in full. But I will lift up his four main points here regardless.
- Keyword volume and competition
- Content format and content frequency
- SEO audit for content spring cleaning and technical SEO
Let’s continue with Mr. Patel. A brief look at different statistics that he thinks every content marketer should know.
- 42% of B2B marketers say they’re effective at content marketing.
- 60% of marketers create at least one piece of content each day.
- Year-over-year growth in unique site traffic is 7.8x higher for content marketing leaders compared to followers (19.7% vs 2.5%).
- 57% of marketers reported custom content was their top marketing priority for 2014.
- Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing and generates about 3 times as many leads.
- 93% of B2B marketers use content marketing.
- 78% of CMOs believe custom content is the future of marketing.
- Conversion rates are nearly 6x higher for content marketing adopters than non-adopters (2.9% vs 0.5%).
- 39% of marketing budget is spent on content marketing by the most effective B2B marketers.
- 48% of smaller organizations have a documented content strategy, compared to only 41% of larger organizations.
- 58% of marketers said “original written content” is the most important type of content, outdoing visuals and videos.
- 60% of the most effective B2C marketers have a documented content strategy.
- B2B marketers use an average of 13 content marketing tactics.
- 70% of B2B marketers rate in-person events as effective. (Source: TopRankBlog)
- 74% of people suffer from glossophobia (fear of public speaking).
- B2B marketers with a documented strategy are more likely to consider themselves effective.
- 73% of organizations have someone in place to oversee their content strategy.
- 86% of highly effective organizations have someone in charge of content strategy.
- 72% of marketers think that branded content is more effective than magazine advertisements.
- 69% of marketers say content is superior to direct mail and PR.
- Almost 60% of marketers reuse content two to five times. They generate “snackable” content based on assets.
- 64% of B2B marketers outsource writing.
- 50% of respondents expressed a desire to be able to measure how much real attention people are paying to their content.
- 72% of marketers are producing significantly more content than they did a year ago.
- 82% of marketers who blog see positive ROI from their inbound marketing.
- The most common content marketing delivery mechanism is social media, used by 87% of marketers.
- 76% of B2B marketers blog, and 73% publish case studies.
- About 49% of marketers are learning to drive content to align with the buyer’s journey.
- Up to 81% of marketers plan to increase their use of original written content.
- Last year, infographic usage grew from 9% to 52%.
- The demand for infographics has increased 800% in the past year.
- 91% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to distribute content.
- 73% of B2B marketers use YouTube to distribute content.
- LinkedIn usage jumped 20% this year among B2C marketers.
- 28% of marketers want to learn more about the art of podcasting.
- Content reading on mobile devices increased over 10% in 2014.
- Content production is the biggest challenge for 44% of marketers.
- Gamification is the least common content marketing tactic, with only 10% of marketers using it.
The final piece to this post comes from John Chow’s blog. In the article, author Rizvan Ullah presents couple content marketing tweaks that promise a big return on invested time.
- Tweak Your Headlines
- Facebook Connect
- Engage Visitors With?
- Share Content 3+
I wouldn’t say that those actually are tweaks. Writing good headlines is important always for example and so is actively trying to engage users as well.
Engaging users and sharing content to social media several times over longer periods of time and Facebook connect are good points, though.
What is the most important blog post / article you read this week?